Featured Post

Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Age Ain't Nothing But a Number

I'm old. Getting old anyway. There is no denying it.

I’m used to getting older and feeling older. The signs are everywhere. Billy Crystal hit it perfectly in the movie City Slickers, saying,
I'm losing hair where I want hair, and getting one where there shouldn't be hair."

The physical stuff, the extra weight, the waning hair, the lack of ability to stay up to all hours without days of recovery. Those are the obvious. Everybody gets hung up on that stuff.  

It is the subtle weird stuff that makes me think I'm days away from smelling like BenGay and a diet of Jell-O.

Product placement is something that gets me. When my kids ask for things like Pringles, Rolos, or Skittles I say, “I remember when those were new.” All I need is a geezer accent to make the statement complete. "And when I was a kid, candy was a quarter, dadgum it!"

It really was, but I don't say it too often.

An odd one that snuck up on us last year was being the oldest parents in the Santa line. There is nothing like being surrounded by a bunch of 20ish parents that can make one feel particularly aged. Thankfully, the center of attention is a much older, rounder, & bearded guy. That way, I didn’t stand out as much.

More recently, in the World Series the other night, each of the Cardinals’ three pitchers were born in the 1990’s. Fine. Being older than the players is something I came to terms with quite some time ago. But when I found out the Cardinal manager was younger than I by three years, I had had it.

There had to be a change, so something in me has decided that I need to remind myself that I am still young. Identify the young things that I do, so I will either a) feel younger or b) find young things to put on that list.

So, when I finish a long run, I feel young. I still got good knees and a strong back. On volleyball nights when I have my serve working and the ball goes everywhere I want it to go, I feel pretty young.

And last night, something good happened.  Remember that bit on the first Spiderman movie when Peter Parker was described as having reflexes so fast they border on precognition? Totally me. I was putting dishes away. I had not turned the light on in the pantry and I'm in the dark putting a dish back on the shelf. Above me I heard the clink of glass and movement above. And like a ninja I deftly tossed the contents of my right hand into my left and snatched the falling serving bowl from the air before it passed lower than my chest. Bazinga! I’m all Spiderman and the Flash and… some other really fast guy all put together. That made me feel pretty good.

I can even generally figure out technology. Working with iPods & smart phones efficiently enough. In certain groups I can even be the go to troubleshooting guy.
 
And, I still understand that there is price inflation as years pass, so I am not offended and shocked when I pay $1.00 or more for a candy bar.

A sure sign of youth is that I am still full of hope. I haven't become an old curmudgeon who snarls at everything and everyone because the world is what it is and there is nothing you can do about it. I believe that things will get better. I truly believe that people will do the right thing. I believe that voters will start sending the right people to run the country and pay more attention to what is going on. And I am still hopeful that the St. Louis Cardinals will start hitting with runners in scoring position and win these last two World Series games.  Hope is a good thing. And it is an emotion for the young.

A pessimist would love to point out that all these wonderful, youthful traits will all leave me eventually. The long slow process of physical and mental decay will pick them off, one by one. I suppose so.

But for now I remind myself that there is much to feel good about. I have my wits and my body.

I can do things that other people my age can't.

I will do things that other people my age won't.

I've done a lot and still have more to do.

1 comment:

  1. Bazinga! The beauty of mental decay is that everything old is new again.

    Besides, you're not old.
    You can't be old.
    That would make ME old.
    Now pass the Jell-o.

    ReplyDelete