Featured Post

Sunday, April 13, 2014

Mini Machiavelli

What a beautiful morning. I finished my run and came home to a pretty quiet house. Everyone in bed, they have all taken advantage of our free Sunday morning.  After cleaning up, I crawled back into bed, lying there in my shorts with the fan blowing on my face and the rest of my body enjoying the breeze from the window.

As I laid down, Jennie took that as her cue to get moving. She left the room and soon after Maddie entered. Dressed in her black One Direction pj's and her bedtime Swiss Miss braids looking rough after a night's sleep, the girl crawled into mom's vacated spot on the bed. I looked over to watch her cuddle in under the comforter and bury her head into the pillow. She looked over and said, "I love you, Daddy."

I reached my arm over across the king size bed. Maddie put her hand out and our palms come together. Holding hands, eventually both of us curled our fingers, hooking them like inverted 'J's'.

I rubbed my thumb across her hand and fingers. Maddie does the same for a moment, but her caress seemed to evolve into a tapping. Tapping from one side to the other, back and forth. I did the same. Time with my little girl, kicking back listening to birds outside and watching the curtains puff in from the breeze. A soft relaxing Sunday morning, I drift closer to sleep.

Then she strikes. Her thumb stomps mine. One, two, three four. She declared a thumb war.

I lost. Then to Maddie, with her evil laugh, go the spoils.

No comments:

Post a Comment